Happy Earth Day!
Although every day is earth day here at Natural Herbal Living, we wanted to bring some awareness to the cause. Earth day is a day for people to stop and think about the impact they are having on the environment. Kids around the country go around and clean up the local parks and schools, throwing out the garbage that has collected over the winter. Adults are reminded that that they can use cloth shopping bags instead of plastic, and changes are made… for a day or two. Then real life takes its course and old habits fall into place. Its easy to do, and no one is perfect.
“Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children’s children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” — Theodore Roosevelt
Here are 4 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day. Generally, these solutions save money and cost little time – my favorite kind of change.
- Make your own cleaning products! Its easy to make a natural counter spray, floor cleaner, bathtub scrub and more using simple ingredients you probably already have in your home: Baking soda, vinegar, essential oils, and alcohol. Not only is this better for the earth, but it is better for your families health.
- Make your own bath and body care products. This takes more time than it does to go to the store, but you can be sure the products you are putting on your body and in your hair are organic and as natural as they come. Some other recipes are Lemon Fresh Deodorant, Whipped Coconut Oil, Dry Itchy Skin Remedies, Forest Grove Bath Melts, Honey and Hemp Shampoo Bar
- Compost! There is nothing more rewarding than seeing seeds that you planted grow and turn into food and medicinal herbs. I have gardened in apartments and in a suburban environment and been able to compost in both places just fine. You can read about my apartment homesteading here, and vermiculture (composting with worms) here. Nothing makes better compost than herbal infusions, used tea and coffee grounds, and organic fruits and veggies straight from the kitchen.
- Eliminate plastic bags. Now, I know I am the last person to remember my re-usable cloth bags when I go to the grocery store, even when I keep them handy in the van. When I do forget my bags, I am sure to ask for paper bags at the register. At least then its recyclable and compostable. If the store doesn’t offer paper bags then, if I have my bags in the car, Ill just ask them to put the groceries back in the cart and bag the groceries in the parking lot. If, by some sad coincidence both of these options aren’t available Ill take the plastic bag, but I am sure to re-use it cleaning up dog waste or garbage out of the parks before I throw it away. We can’t all be perfect, but we can make a difference if we try!
To celebrate Earth Day we are having a week long sale!
Another part of serving the planet we live on is learning how to work with the things the earth offers us for health and long life. The herbs are a wonderful entry point to building a relationship with the natural world and the earth beneath our feet. We focus on common herbs that are generally safe, and include safety information in each issue so you can be informed and make the right decisions for your self and family.
To celebrate this, and encourage a growing relationship with the planet we live on, we are offering a week long discount.
- 22% off all magazine subscriptions (one month, monthly, 6 months and yearly) using the coupon code EARTHDAY (world wide)
- 5% off all Herb Box subscriptions (one month, monthly, 6 months and yearly) using the coupon code EARTHDAYBOX (US only)
How do you plan on celebrating Earth Day?